DMA: Direct Mail Outperforms All Digital Channels
Latest DMA study reveals Direct Mail marketing results are impressive:
2015 DMA Response Rate Report: Direct Mail Outperforms All Digital Channels Combined By Nearly 600
- Direct mail response rates outperform digital channels by a long shot. Direct mail achieves a 3.7% response rate with a house list, and a 1.0% response rate with a prospect list. All digital channels combined only achieve a 0.62% response rate (Mobile 0.2%; Email 0.1% for a Prospect list and 0.1% for House/Total list; Social Media 0.1%; Paid Search 0.1%; Display Advertising 0.02%). Telephone had the highest response rate at 9-10%.
- Cost-per-acquisition for direct mail is very competitive. Direct mail stands at $19, which fares favorably with Mobile and Social Media (both at $16-18), Paid Search ($21-30), Internet Display ($41-50) and even email ($11-15).
- 82% of respondents expect to use the same amount of direct mail, or more, in the coming year.
- Formats are playing a role. According to the study, oversized envelopes have the best response rate at 5.0%, followed by postcards at 4.25%, dimensional 4.0%, catalogs 3.9% and letter-sized envelopes 3.5%.
- Marketers continue to embrace multi-channel marketing, with 44% of the respondents using three or more channels for their marketing efforts. In these instances, the most popular channels tend to be email, direct mail and social media.
- Direct mail offers strong return on marketing investment. It returns the same ROI as social media (15-17%).
Source: DMA Response Rate Report https://thedma.org/news/data-driven-marketers-diversify-across-channels/